- 1710 households in Grange Ward, Southwark were leafleted offering free bike loan and cycle training to adults.
- 18 people responded who comprised a representative cross section of the local population including 72% female and 33% ethnic minority.
- At 3-4 months 15 out of 16 are cycling regularly and 7 have obtained their own bicycle.
- 13 out of 16 participants are now doing more moderate level physical activity than before the programme, although there has been a reduction in walking.
- Leafletting coupled with free bike loan has proved an efficient way to get people exercising and we estimate that over the small area covered there has been a 9% increase in cycling as a result of the pilot project.
Summary of Main Aspects of the Study
I run short "healthy rides" for Southwark Cyclists. Have a background in exercise science.